We give donors the option to target specific areas of our library support. These opportunities come in both large and small donation sizes. We ask for the full amount to make something happen so you can be assured your money is doing what you expect.
Support for the Large Print Book Circuit
The Large Print Book Circuit collection is a set of 50 recent fiction books that libraries may lend to their patrons. Every 4 months the books are exchanged with another library in the circuit so everyone’s patrons have a new set of books to read. The circuit is currently limited to 50 public libraries.
What are the program’s costs?
- Replace one worn large print book : $25 each [wp_eStore_buy_now_button id=4]
- Enough new books to increase the library limit by one : $1,250 [wp_eStore_buy_now_button id=5]
Support for Summer Reading Programs
Summer reading programs help prepare young children for school and help school age youth retain what they learn between school years.
Each year the State Library provides a statewide theme for Summer Reading programs along with printed handouts and other resources to help carry them out. Our Summer Reading Workshops provide ideas and resources for the selected theme which may be used either with or without the State Library’s materials. We also highlight and explain some of the ideas in manual.
- Sponsor a Summer Reading Workshop : $1,500 [wp_eStore_buy_now_button id=14]
Our YouthShare exchanges provide basic instruction on planning summer reading programs and youth events. We begin by reviewing the business skills needed to organize programs that typically involve 10 to 20 contracts. This is followed by an exchange of ideas that creates and reinforces mentor relationships so novice staff will better recognize when they need help and feel comfortable about calling their more experienced colleagues for assistance.
- Sponsor a YouthShare exchange : $1,000 [wp_eStore_buy_now_button id=8]
Performer Showcases allow library staff to connect with presenters before scheduling events for their summer reading programs. These independent presenters are skilled in the use of performance to engage youth and then provide academic instruction on their subject of specialty. The showcase approach allows library staff to personally gauge a specialist’s knowledge and quality before entering into a contract with him or her.
- Sponsor a Performer Showcase : $3,750 [wp_eStore_buy_now_button id=9]
Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM) Support
Many public libraries go beyond reading and work to give children equitable access to STEM education. We make a special effort to deliver STEM programs to 6 libraries at a time. Experimentation has shown us that hands-on technology workshops get the best results when we have 6 libraries and each library sends a team of 2 people. We also find that focusing on libraries that are physically close together promotes regional capacity; as libraries experience staff turnover, the new people have knowledgeable neighbors to turn to for support.
- Help create a new program! – Provide 6 libraries with a hands-on workshop training library staff on how to teach 3D printing technology along with the instructional equipment : $12,500 [wp_eStore_buy_now_button id=11]
- Provide 3D printers with hands-on training for 6 libraries wishing to provide 3D printing to their communities : $40,000 (This program was developed through grants from IMLS and TSLAC in 2015-2018) [wp_eStore_buy_now_button id=10]
- Provide 6 libraries with a hands-on workshop training library staff on how to teach robotics technology along with the instructional equipment : $27,000 (This program was developed through grants from IMLS and TSLAC in 2014-2017) [wp_eStore_buy_now_button id=13]
Help a Library a Join
Our base membership is $300, but there are many libraries who cannot afford that. If you would like to help your public library, call them and offer to pay some or all of their membership fee. If you would like to help someone but your library does not need the assistance, consider a matching mini-grant. This mini-grant will be allow a library to join by paying half the membership cost while you match them to cover the other half.
- Membership Matching Grant : $150 [wp_eStore_buy_now_button id=12]